Join the BVH Team
We're Seeking an Historical Architect
BVH Architecture is celebrating 50 years as a firm in 2018, and as we look to the future we are seeking an architect with experience in historic preservation who is committed to excellence and who has proven project architect skills. To thrive here, you’ve got to truly support and enjoy a challenge-based culture where ideas are roundly debated in the quest for excellence and peak performance. We are a studio of individuals who collectively learn and grow and BVH is eminently suited to fostering that environment.
We are looking for candidates with historic preservation experience in a top-notch professional services firm focusing on architectural services, including the full spectrum of services from new to adaptive reuse to historic preservation. This candidate should be able to comfortably review, assess, analyze, and understand the complexities of historic and existing buildings for their historic features and building technology. The ideal candidate should be able to leverage this information to coordinate the existing conditions with the clients program and project goals to create a carefully planned, innovative, modern approach solution. The ability to develop unique design solutions while maintaining attention to detail within defined budgets, timelines and deadlines is a must.
- Manage team and project coordination, including full document coordination with all consultants
- Support communication between project team, clients, vendors, contractors, consultants, and building and permitting officials
- Applicant shall be able to work with and manage a small team production staff and assist the Project Managers with project administration duties including,but not limited to managing schedules and project budgets, and communicating with consultants.
- Provide technical guidance and develop innovative solutions to resolve complex technical and design challenges
- Investigate, document and evaluate historic buildings, process submittals, substitution requests, and RFI’s during construction.; investigating, documenting and evaluating historic buildings.
- Specialized experience in the preservation and treatment of historic buildings including the application of the Secretary of Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties
- Hold a professional degree in architecture. Graduate degree in historic preservation is a plus.
- 5-7 years of historic preservation rehabilitation, restoration and adaptive reuse experience, minimum
- Current professional architectural registration. LEED AP a plus.
- Demonstrated experience with Revit, AutoCAD, Bluebeam Revu, Google, Deltek Vision/Ajera
- Apply professional architecture skills and interdisciplinary professional knowledge of the theories, principles, practices and techniques of historic architecture, architectural conservation, building preservation, stabilization, rehabilitation, and reconstruction procedures and methodologies planning and managing historic preservation projects.
- Conduct historic research, on-site surveys and documentation.
- Prepare condition assessments and historic structure reports or similar work with historic resources..
- Understand the national register nomination process and how the historic tax credit process coordinates with projects.
- Supervise the preparation of architectural drawings for all project phases, including proposal presentations, concept, schematics, design documents and construction documents.
- Perform regular business development duties, prepare proposals and fees, and participate in interviews.
- Direct team members and others in the application of architectural standards and guidelines.
- Work with our BVH team across the firm in supporting higher ed, religious and civic planning/design projects.
- Lead compliance efforts with local, state, and federal agencies and support NEPA projects across the firm with Section 106 efforts.
- Be an industry thought leader that speaks and publishes as an industry leader in preservation matters and issues.
- Caring and community-minded
- Curious with a strong attention to detail
- Proactive, Inclusive and Optimistic
- Calm under pressure
- Strong listening skills as well as strong written & oral communications
- Fosters collaborative teamwork
- Holds people accountable
BVH is more than a collection of architects. We are a team of creative thinkers that seek to learn from our world and elevate the practice of architecture. We view design through the critical lenses of integrity and responsibility, both to our craft and to our community. We are peers, not competitors — seeking to better our world through our work. We offer competitive salaries and benefits, an energetic workplace, ongoing training opportunities, and an environment that allows employee interests and strengths to flourish. BVH is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested candidates should submit their intent and supporting documentation, including contact information, to [email protected]. All documentation will be reviewed and selected candidates will be contacted to further discuss the position and schedule an interview.